SEN Report

What is Pupil Premium?

The Pupil Premium was introduced in April 2011 and is allocated to schools to work with pupils who have been registered for free school meals at any point in the last six years (known as ‘Ever 6 FSM’). Schools also receive funding for children who have been looked after continuously for more than six months, and children of service personnel. 

From April 2014, schools in England can receive the Pupil Premium for children adopted from care, or who left care under a Special Guardianship Order on or after 30 December 2005. Schools can also claim the Pupil Premium for children who left care under a Residence Order on or after 14 October 1991.

Why has it been introduced?

The Government believes that the Pupil Premium, which is additional to main school funding, is the best way to address the current underlying inequalities between children eligible for free school meals (FSM) and their peers by ensuring that funding to tackle disadvantage reaches the pupils who need it most.

Who decides on how the money is spent?

In most cases the Pupil Premium is paid direct to schools. The Government has allocated funding into school budgets for every pupil who receives free school meals and for those who are adopted in England. Schools decide how to use the funding, as they are best placed to assess what their pupils need.

How are schools accountable for the spending of Pupil Premium?

They are held accountable for the decision they make through:

  • The performance tables which show the performance of disadvantaged pupils compared with their peers.
  • The new Ofsted inspection rules, under which inspectors focus on the attainment of pupil groups, in particular those who attract the Pupil Premium.

Children and Families Act 2014

The Children and Families Bill takes forward the Coalition Government’s commitments to improve services for vulnerable children and support strong families. It underpins wider reforms to ensure that all children and young people can succeed, no matter what their background. The Bill will reform the systems for adoption, children who are looked after, family justice and special educational needs.

The Government is changing the system for children and young people with special education needs (SEN), including those who are disabled. The Bill will extend the SEN system from birth to 25, giving children, young people and their parents/carers greater involvement in decisions and ensuring needs are properly met. It takes forward the reform programme set out in Support and aspiration: A new approach to special educational needs and disability: Progress and next steps by:

  • Replacing statements and learning difficulty assessments with a new birth-to-25 Education, Health and Care Plan.
  • Improving cooperation between all the services that support children and their families and particularly requiring local authorities and health authorities to work together.
  • Requiring local authorities to involve children, young people and parents in reviewing and developing provision for those with special educational needs and to publish a ‘local offer’ of support.

What is the Local Offer?

The Local Offer was first introduced in the Green Paper (March 2011) to detail what local services are available to support disabled children and children with SEN and their families. This easy to understand information will set out what is normally available in schools to help children with lower-level SEN as well as the options available to support families who need additional help to care for their child.

What will it do?

The Kirklees framework will allow the Local Offer to provide parents / carers with information about how to access services in their area, and what they can expect from those services. It will let parents / carers and young people know how school and colleges will support them, and what they can expect across local schools and colleges.

There are 14 questions, devised in consultation with parents / carers and other agencies, which reflect their concerns and interests. These will be answered by services, schools and colleges to provide information to parents and carers to enable them to make decisions about how to best support their child’s needs.

Scissett Middle School (Shelley Pyramid) SEN Report January 2017

Governor with responsibility for SEN
Contact details:
E-mail (admin)
E-mail (SENCo)
Telephone (admin)
Telephone (SENCo)
Local offer webpage link
Age range
Mrs Natasha Greenough
Miss Helen Peace
Sheila Brown
Scissett Middle School
Wakefield Road
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
01484 865444
01484 865444
Kirklees LA


At Scissett Middle School and within the Shelley Pyramid of Schools we deliver quality first teaching to every child, adapting the curriculum to their specific needs. The statements below can be applied to all children in our schools.

1. How do Shelley Pyramid schools know if children need extra help?

We know when pupils need help if:

  • concerns are raised by parents / carers, teachers or the child.
  • limited progress is being made.
  • there is a change in the pupil’s behaviour or progress.

2. What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

  • The class teacher is the initial point of contact for responding to parental concerns
  • If you have concerns then contact the individual school SENCO.

3. How will I know how the Shelley Pyramid schools support my child?

  • Each pupil’s education programme will be planned by the staff involved in your child's education. It will be tailored to suit the pupil’s individual needs. This may include additional support by the teacher or teaching assistant.
  • If a pupil has needs related to more specific areas of their education, such as spelling, handwriting, numeracy and literacy skills, etc. then the pupil may be placed in a small focus group. The length of time of the intervention will vary according to need. The interventions, which are steps taken to provide additional support, will be regularly reviewed by all involved to ascertain their effectiveness and to inform future planning. These interventions will be recorded. If you have any queries related to the interventions please do not hesitate to contact the class teacher or SENCO.
  • There will be regular meetings to discuss your child's progress within school. This is a meeting where staff meet to discuss the progress of the pupils. This shared discussion may highlight any potential problems in order for further support to be planned.
  • A referral will be made to the pyramids' Additional Needs Partnership, with your consent, in order to discuss the most appropriate way forward. After an assessment of need, appropriate support will provided.
  • Occasionally a pupil may need more expert support from an outside service such as Speech and Language Therapy, the Educational Psychologist or Occupational Therapy.
  • The Governors of Shelley Pyramid schools are responsible for entrusting a named Governor who will monitor the SEN provision and use of funding in their school. In a support and challenge role, the Governors ensure that the school is as inclusive as possible and treats all children and staff in an equitable way. They monitor and review the accessibility plan and all other statutory policies as defined by the Department for Education.

4. How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

  • All work within the classroom is tailored to individual child’s needs by the class teacher to best enable children to access the curriculum.
  • Teaching assistants (TAs) may be allocated to work with the pupil in a 1-to-1 or small focus group to target more specific needs.
  • If a child has been identified as having a special need, they may be given an Individual action plan. Targets will be set according to their area of need. These will be monitored by staff and the SENCO three times per year. Action plans will be discussed with parents/carers and a copy given to them.
  • If appropriate, specialist equipment may be given to the pupil e.g. writing slopes, concentration cushions, pen/pencil grips or easy-to-use scissors.

5. How will I know how my child is doing?

  • Through the school's assessment and reporting systems, you will be kept regularly informed about your child's progress.
  • You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at parents’ evenings.
  • Appointments can be made to speak, in more detail, with members of staff if you require.

6. How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

  • Staff may suggest ways of how you can support your child.
  • The SENCO/Pastoral team may meet with you to discuss how to support your child with strategies to use if there are concerns regarding your child’s behaviour/social and emotional needs.
  • If outside agencies or the Educational Psychologist have been involved, suggestions and programmes of study are normally provided and can be used at home.
  • This home-school partnership is essential.

7. What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

The school offers a wide variety of pastoral support for pupils who are encountering emotional difficulties:

  • Members of staff are readily available for pupils who wish to discuss issues and concerns.
  • Additional support may be provided for pupils who find social times challenging.
  • All schools have safe spaces for children who need emotional support.

SEN Pupils with medical needs:

  • If a pupil has a medical need then a detailed Care Plan will be provided by a medical professional. These are shared with all staff who are involved with the pupil.
  • Staff receive EpiPen/diabetic/epilepsy training delivered as and when required.
  • Where necessary and in agreement with parents/carers, medicines are administered in school but only where a signed medicine consent form is in place to ensure the safety of both child and staff member.
  • Identified staff have basic first aid training.

8. What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

  • At times, it may be necessary to consult with outside services to receive their more specialised expertise. These can be signposted by the Kirklees local offer on the Kirklees website.
  • An educational psychologist is allocated to our pyramid of schools. He / she would normally only work directly with pupils whose needs are considerable and have not responded well to the interventions previously put in place for them.
  • In order to help understand the pupil’s educational needs better, the psychologist will generally meet with the parent / carer and give feedback after the assessment has been completed. He/she will offer advice to the school and parent / carer on how to best support the pupil in order to take their learning forward.

The EPs are directly involved in planning SEN provision through the Additional Needs Partnership for pupils across the pyramid. Termly meetings are held to discuss and prioritise the needs of pupils and good practice is shared.

9. What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEN had (or are having)?

Different members of staff have received training related to Special Education Needs and Disabilities. This may included sessions on:

  • cognition and learning (e.g. autistic spectrum)
  • communication and interaction (e.g. speech and language difficulties)
  • physical and sensory needs (e.g. co-ordination needs)
  • social, mental and emotional health

Some of our SENCOs have gained the qualification ‘National Award for Special Educational Needs Co-Ordination’. They must all hold Qualified Teacher Status.

10. How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

Activities and school trips are available to all.

  • Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate.
  • If it is deemed that an intensive level of 1:1 support is required, you may be asked to accompany their child during the activity.

11. How accessible is the school environment?

As individual schools we are happy to discuss individual access requirements.

12. How will the schools prepare and support my child when joining a Shelley Pyramid School or transition visit?

  • All pupils can attend a transition day or a series of visits.
  • Discussions between the previous or receiving schools/ settings happen prior to the pupil joining/leaving.
  • All pupils attend a transition session where they spend some time with their new class teacher (tutor) and other members of staff.
  • Additional visits are also arranged for pupils who need extra time in their new school.
  • School staff are always willing to meet parents / carers prior to their child joining the school.
  • Middle school/ College staff visit pupils prior to them joining their new school.
  • Where a pupil may have more specialised needs, a separate meeting may be arranged with relevant staff from both schools, the parents/carers and, where appropriate, the pupil.

13. How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

  • The SEN budget is allocated each financial year. The money is used to provide additional support or resources dependent on an individual’s needs.
  • Resources may include using extra staff depending on individual circumstances.

14. How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?

  • These decisions are made in consultation with teachers, SENCOs and senior leadership team. Decisions are based upon termly tracking of pupil progress and/ or as a result of assessments by outside services.
  • During their school life, if further concerns are identified due to the pupil’s well-being or lack of progress, then other interventions may be arranged.

15. How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?

  • All parents / carers have a responsibility to support their child’s education.
  • Parents / carers support home learning and Individual Action Plan targets.
  • Discussions with teachers / SENCO / other professionals.
  • Attendance at Parents’ Evenings.

16. Who can I contact for further information?

If you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs, or other issues regarding your child’s

schooling, please contact the school office to arrange a meeting with the relevant staff member.

We hope these have answered any queries you may have but do not hesitate to contact the individual school if you have further questions.

SEN Report Review

The SEN Report has been written in collaboration with parents through the Governing Body and with pupils through Pupil Voice surveys.